10 Duties of a Nanny That Overlap with a Housekeeper
Families that have a nanny and a housekeeper should make sure to create clear job description lists to avoid role confusion. There are several things that are typically on the job description of both nannies and housekeepers, ten duties of the duties that tend to most often overlap are described below.
- Cleaning up toys. Putting away toys, or making sure that kids put away toys, is a job that a nanny is usually expected to do but that many housekeepers usually do as well.
- Putting away dishes after a meal. When parents are away nannies are expected to clean up food and dishes. Keeping the kitchen clean is also something that might be expected of a housekeeper.
- Hanging up kids’ clothes. Especially for children who are very young, nannies are generally expected to tidy up after them. This may overlap with a housekeeper’s more general cleaning duty.
- Doing laundry. The children’s laundry is typically the responsibility of the nanny. Children’s linens could be the responsibility of the nanny or housekeeper.
- Feeding pets. If a family has pets, making sure that they are fed and cleaned up after could fall under either a nanny or a housekeeper’s duties. Both nannies and housekeepers are generally expected to take care of pets.
- Walking pets. As mentioned above, pet care is something that is often expected of both nannies and housekeepers. Making sure that pets are walked and exercised is a duty that may overlap for nannies and housekeepers.
- Making meals. Children need to eat and parents will expect a nanny to make sure they are fed. For many families, preparing meals is something that a housekeeper does, which means that this is a duty that might overlap.
- Running errands. Especially when errands concern the kids, it is usually a nanny’s job to run errands. Families with housekeepers may typically ask a housekeeper to do errands such as grocery shopping, or mailing bills at the post office.
- Cleaning up messes. When kids come in from playing and leave a dirt trail behind them it usually falls upon a nanny to wipe up the mess. If a child throws up while the nanny is around it is usually expected that the nanny cleans the mess. Cleaning up messes is also something that most housekeepers do though, making it another duty that overlaps.
- Helping with kid parties. Planning, organizing, and supervising kids’ birthday parties is something that a nanny may be expected to help with but that a housekeeper might be expected to do too. While nannies probably know the kids better, a housekeeper usually knows how to manage the home better.
The frenetic pace of today's world can make it very difficult to remember everything life ...
It's no secret that having children is expensive. From the cost of diapers to the ...
While Valentine’s Day is easily one of the busiest days of the year for a ...
- Hire a Babysitter
- Hire a Nanny Agency
- Hire a Nanny and You Need to Pay Taxes
- Hire a Nanny Cam
- Hire a Nanny Free
- Hire a Nanny from Abroad
- Hire a Nanny Job
- Hire a Nanny Live-In
- Hire a Nanny or Housekeeper?
- Hire a Nanny Part-Time
- Hire a Nanny Payroll
- Hire a Nanny Process
- Hire a Nanny Questions
- Hire a Nanny Requirements
- Hire a Nanny Rules
- Hire a Nanny Website
- Hire a Nanny with a Work Agreement
- Hire an In-Home Nanny
- Nanny Hiring Decisions
- Nanny Search
- Quick Nanny Hiring Guide
- Start a Nanny Business
- The Cost of Hiring a Nanny